Friday 4 March 2016

Introduction to Victoria



In August 2015, we welcomed a new committee member to our team.  Here is a little introduction from Victoria, our new treasurer. 

In October 2014, following obtaining my ACA qualification, I decided to take a break from the world of finance.  I have always loved animals but sadly was never allowed any growing up, so this was the perfect opportunity for me to fill my time doing something I loved.  I heard about cat fostering online and it sounded perfect.  I could help cats in need, while fulfilling my own dream of having an animal in my home.  I met with Chris, the branch co-ordinator, one morning and by the afternoon I was set up with a room full of supplies, just waiting for that phone call.

My first foster cats were Danny and Arnold, two eleven week old kittens.  They were two frightened little balls of fur at first, but before long they came out of their shell and were bouncing around the flat.  I enjoyed the experience immensely, and I also learned a lot.  We had the kittens for six weeks before a lovely family took them into their forever home.  It was sad to see them go, but I felt proud that I had provided a shelter when they needed it.

My second foster cat was Joseph.  I had been warned beforehand that it may end up being quite a long term foster as Joseph was an older cat, and a cat flu carrier.  Well as it turned out, my partner and I fell in love with him, and when after two months he had not had any interest, we took the decision to adopt him ourselves.  

While we were over the moon to have Joseph in our lives permanently, it did mean I had to stop fostering as we just didn’t have the room.  I was very keen to continue helping out in any way I could, particularly with the finance side of the charity, and soon I was in discussions with the Cats Protection Camberley team about me taking over as Treasurer for the branch.  I am very proud to have been given this role, and I look forward to many more years of helping cats, both directly and indirectly.

As well as Cats Protection, I also volunteer for a dog rescue called Rescue Remedies.  My main role is as a dog walker, which I try to do a few times a week, but I also take dogs out of kennels for a day or a few days break.   The dogs really respond to time away from the kennels and it is lovely to see them in a more relaxed environment.  Once we have a house and we have more room, and with Joseph’s permission of course, we are hoping to give a home to a lovely doggie too.
 
Victoria with handsome Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment